Debit Card Phishing Text Messages
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Another Connecticut-based credit union received notification over the last several days that some members and non-members may have received a text message containing some or all of the following quotes:
“ALERT- Your CARD has been DEACTIVATED Please contact us at 203-533-6242“
“ALERT- Your CARD has been DEACTIVATED Please contact us at 203-779-8274“
This alert was a scam and an attempt to “phish” data with the intent of using it for malicious activity. Often, these types of phishing messages say your bank account will be closed, frozen or canceled unless you call a phone number or go to a website. These messages will also imply that there will be negative consequences if you don't respond. This is an attempt to scare you and convince you to provide your personal or account information.
Please stay alert. Ledge Light Federal Credit Union does not send text alerts of this nature to members, nor would we request sensitive information through a text message or any other type of electronic communication. Protecting your sensitive information is a top priority.
If you are ever unsure about the authenticity of a Ledge Light Federal Credit Union e-mail, phone call or text message, please call the toll-free number that appears on our website.
You should never respond or reply to an e-mail, phone call or text message that:
- Requires you to supply personal or account information directly into the e-mail.
- Threatens to close or suspend your account if you do not take immediate action and provide personal or account information.
- Solicits your participation in a survey where you are asked to enter personal or account information.
- States that your account has been compromised or that there has been third-party activity on your account and requests you to enter or confirm your personal or account information.
- States that there are unauthorized charges on your account and requests your personal or account information.
- Asks you to enter your User ID, password or account numbers, PIN or card expiration dates into an e-mail, non-secure webpage or text message.
- Asks you to confirm, verify, or refresh your account, credit card, or billing information.
|Not a member? To open an Account at
Ledge Light FCU you must first become a member.